A Bear's Life

The Life and Times of Junior Bear

Monday, August 07, 2006

Summertime on the Gulf Coast


I don’t know. I don’t know. I don’t know where I’m a’gonna go when the hurricane blows. Oh, hello! Once again, mommy & daddy have left the computer on so that I can blog. I wonder if Jimmy Buffett would mind if I changed his lyrics a little. They’re both natural disasters, right? Anyway, I was sitting here contemplating summer on the Gulf Coast. My one, overriding, thought: IT’S HOTTT! Those of you in northern states are thinking, “Oh, it must be warm there.” Warm is an oven setting. Warm doesn’t factor in 70% humidity on 90 degree days. Warm doesn’t make your glasses fog up or your clothes stick to you. Warm doesn’t mat your fur! No, sir, it’s just plain hot.

How do I cope you ask? One word: seafood! Fortunately, even though the weather outside is frightful, the dining on the waterfront is quite delightful. When it gets unbearable (pardon the pun), I rally mom & dad to take me to Ed’s. Nothing helps me deal with the heat like a dozen lightly battered and fried Gulf shrimp! Of course, you can’t eat the shrimp by themselves, they might get lonely. So, I add a side of savory cheese grits, a cup of tasty seafood gumbo (spicy!), and a couple of small pups. What? Oh, don’t look at your screen that way! I am after all a civilized little brown bear. Oh, if I must, I’ll spell it out for those of you in California: hushpuppies! Wash it all down with a tasty glass of sweet iced tea and you’ve got yourself a cure for the “It’s darn hot!” blues.


The only problem is that if you eat that much tasty food very often, you put on a few pounds. Since I want to maintain my cubbish figure, I have looked for ways to keep in shape. I can’t afford to get sluggish. Soon the baby in our family will be a toddler and I will need all my speed and cunning to escape her sticky, drool covered little paws.

I’ve tried several forms of exercise. The Resist-a-ball was an interesting contraption. Unfortunately, by the time I got it blown up, I was too exhausted to work out. It makes a nice nap spot, at least until you roll over in your sleep. It’s a long way down for a little brown bear! The treadmill was more to my liking. I just have to be careful not to get it going too fast. My legs, they are kind of short!


Well, I’d better get going. I have to keep watch. There was a Jim Cantorre sighting in our neighborhood. We don’t want any of those hurricane attracting Weather Channel dudes anywhere close to us! See you later!

Wastin’ away again just east of D’Iberville; searchin’ for my lost stringer of shrimp; Some people claim that there’s a woman to blame, and I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home